Top 21% of Woot.com Woots
Top 10% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 8% of Woot.com Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Quality Posts

nematheydary

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nematheydary

How come, directly from the manufacturer, the warranty is 10-year but on here it's a 5-year warranty?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1033 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nematheydary wrote:How come, directly from the manufacturer, the warranty is 10-year but on here it's a 5-year warranty?

You would have to ask the manufacturer. Page 28 of the linked manual described the warranties.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

jleonar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jleonar

Not the same brand but the exact same type of dehydrator

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UUT4C8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are extremely simple devices with very little that can go wrong.

I have the one linked since 2010.

Solkre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre

Why the heck would this cost $179, let alone $300!

No wonder beef jerky costs so much.

frogshavemorefun

quality posts: 6 Private Messages frogshavemorefun

I've had this same one for at least 12 years. Love it. Works very well.
It has a thermostat which is awesome.

Princesspooh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Princesspooh

A couple of other alternative uses I've found for this dehydrator because of the square tray shape and design...

I've removed all but a couple of trays to dry sweaters.

I've removed all trays to safely dry out expensive hiking boots at the lowest (105 degree) temp.

ice98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ice98

I used one of these for a year working at a butcher shop, the even drying you get and the timed shutoff alone are features that make it worthwhile, it has a large capacity and is easy to clean, it does seem like all dehydrators are a rip-off considering how simple they are, but how well it works can vary greatly with design. This passes all air back to front, no secondary fan sucking heat out or anything like that....these are also great for rendering lard or remelting candles and chapstick

aaltieri

quality posts: 25 Private Messages aaltieri

I've had one of these for years and am very happy with it. It is a bit large. When in use, it does take up a pretty good chunk of my dinner table. It's not loud though, so when I'm in the next room, I don't even know it's on.

One of the reasons I got mine was to make puppy treats. I mix sweet potato and chicken and dry that out and the pups love it.

My ONLY complaint is that you can't run the fan without some form of heat. And the lowest setting is 105f. So if you want to make something like a portable soup, you really can't because it will melt.

Nargg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nargg
Solkre wrote:Why the heck would this cost $179, let alone $300!

It all depends on the heating methods. Most dehydrators are really nothing more than low heat ovens. Good dehydrators do a bit more to ensure they don't bake the food but dehydrate it. This seems to be one of those.

Beef jerky costs so much due to 1. it's beef. 2. the time it takes. Also consider you end up with about 30% of the same amount of meat that you'd buy in the store due to fat rendering and dehydration. So you can't look at the price of the package of raw meat in the store and make a 1 to 1 comparison. It's not 1 to 1. At best it's a 0.5 to 1 then add the time and labor.

rjcroissant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjcroissant

Well keep trying to buy one but it says I can save the 5 dollar shipping fee if I am prime for amazon, log in with prime and it still shows 5 dollar shipping....definitely will not hit place order....seems like they contradict themselves....

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus
aaltieri wrote:I've had one of these for years and am very happy with it. It is a bit large. When in use, it does take up a pretty good chunk of my dinner table. It's not loud though, so when I'm in the next room, I don't even know it's on.

One of the reasons I got mine was to make puppy treats. I mix sweet potato and chicken and dry that out and the pups love it.

My ONLY complaint is that you can't run the fan without some form of heat. And the lowest setting is 105f. So if you want to make something like a portable soup, you really can't because it will melt.

portable soup? what's that?

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

fishegg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishegg
rjcroissant wrote:Well keep trying to buy one but it says I can save the 5 dollar shipping fee if I am prime for amazon, log in with prime and it still shows 5 dollar shipping....definitely will not hit place order....seems like they contradict themselves....

Try again, worked for me.

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjcroissant wrote:Well keep trying to buy one but it says I can save the 5 dollar shipping fee if I am prime for amazon, log in with prime and it still shows 5 dollar shipping....definitely will not hit place order....seems like they contradict themselves....

Hi there. WE don't show that you've logged in with Amazon.

Log out of Woot. Log in using Login with Amazon.

Pay with Amazon isn't the same thing.

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

tc1uscg

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tc1uscg
hosesplus wrote:portable soup? what's that?

Freeze Dried "soup"? Maybe..

I decided it might be cheaper to make my own FREEZEDRIED foods then buying them. Dehydrating food retains about 50-70% of it's nutritional value and foods done in a freeze dryer is a totally different process and retains over 90+% of nutritional value and the food will last way longer.

But the cost of a FD is a couple thousand dollars vs something that's made for making fruit rollups or drying your favorite daisy's.

TC1 USCG Ret

tamiralinn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tamiralinn

going to have to order me one 4.5 stars on amazon with over 1000 reviews and here is a site that does a good comparison against other machines

https://bestreviews.com/best-dehydrators

aaltieri

quality posts: 25 Private Messages aaltieri
hosesplus wrote:portable soup? what's that?

Basically, it's like bouillon made from a rich bone broth.

Best way to make it I've found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk

KevinJRussell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KevinJRussell

I would not use one of these for jerky, it has a heating element. I just use metal racks and a fan. Heat is going to change the flavor of your jerky.

modi123

quality posts: 21 Private Messages modi123

Of course this comes up when I am taking my car into the shop. Maybe next time, woot.

Betta koix15(2017)

RosaHarris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RosaHarris

mmmm nom nom

Jillianzwerenz

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Jillianzwerenz

I’ve been wanting one for quite some time. As a professional baker I have been looking for something to help cut drying time in half.

Is this a new model and not a refurb and is there a newer model about to be released hence the lower price?

rjcroissant

I click on the link that says free shipping with prime and it makes me log in with Amazon....then right back to the same thing.....5 dollar shipping....

rjcroissant

Yup just did what you said to verify....same thing again...seems you people do not know what you are doing, I log in with woot, I log in with Amazon....same thing....fix your problem.....if you advertise free shipping for prime then give it....

DaveinMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaveinMD
rjcroissant wrote:Yup just did what you said to verify....same thing again...seems you people do not know what you are doing, I log in with woot, I log in with Amazon....same thing....fix your problem.....if you advertise free shipping for prime then give it....

Works for me... Try to log in using a different browser (firefox vs IE for example) - perhaps you saved your woot login and your browser is automatically loging you in to woot?

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjcroissant wrote:Yup just did what you said to verify....same thing again...seems you people do not know what you are doing, I log in with woot, I log in with Amazon....same thing....fix your problem.....if you advertise free shipping for prime then give it....

I'm sorry for the frustration. We still don't show that you've ever logged in with Amazon.

Could you try clearing temps/cookies for Woot and logging out of Amazon as well.

Then try again logging out of woot and then Log in with Amazon.

If that doesn't work, could you try a different browser?

foremostauthority

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foremostauthority

Hosesplus wrote: portable soup? what's that?

Well obviously, portable soup is soup that can be carried about - assuming you have a carry permit - even pocketed - assuming you have a concealed carry permit.
Nonetheless, I think the poster was referring to the Excalibur's likelihood of melting if using it you attempt to render soup portable; which, of course renders the Excalibur unusable.
(hint: I've never heard of chicken noodle causing such an event)

ndj12345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndj12345

Stability of temperature, consistency of air flow.