Top 7% of Woot.com Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

Apple iPad Air 2 64GB LTE Tablet (S&D)
Price: $259.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard (Free with Prime)
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, May 14 to Tuesday, May 15) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
4/25/2018 - $259.99 - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)
3/11/2018 - $259.99
2/15/2018 - $269.99

ktappe

quality posts: 14 Private Messages ktappe

This doesn't look like a bad deal. A8 chip, 64Gb...nothing that would prevent you from running iOS 11 just fine.

EricPost

quality posts: 5 Private Messages EricPost

The problems with these refurbs is you never know about the battery. I know it is "checked" and "replaced if needed." But that tells you precious little and replacing a battery in this can be a major thing.

warrenlms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warrenlms

Given the pricing of iPad 5th Generation new tablets, Woot/Amazon/Bezos should have priced these refurbs a bit lower IMO.

boatboy24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boatboy24

Granted, this has 64GB, which is nice. But I can walk into my local Micro Center and grab a brand new, current gen 32GB iPad for $300. This is a 4 year old iPad.

GuitarRebel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GuitarRebel

I found it interesting that the RAM (or lack thereof) wasn't listed, unless my sleepy eyes just missed it. In today's app intensive world I wouldn't even consider anything less than 4GB and would prefer 6GB.

erwos

quality posts: 3 Private Messages erwos
boatboy24 wrote:Granted, this has 64GB, which is nice. But I can walk into my local Micro Center and grab a brand new, current gen 32GB iPad for $300. This is a 4 year old iPad.

Also worth noting is that they were down to $250 on BF, too. HOWEVER, this one does have LTE, and if you're on something like Project Fi, you can potentially get a lot of mileage out of that.

davevpi

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davevpi
GuitarRebel wrote:I found it interesting that the RAM (or lack thereof) wasn't listed, unless my sleepy eyes just missed it. In today's app intensive world I wouldn't even consider anything less than 4GB and would prefer 6GB.

The iPad Air 2 had 2 GB of RAM.

tuber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuber

My greatest frustration with Apple is planned obsolescence. There is a growing collection of devices made useless when Ios updates are only for newer ones, and no version to keep the old ones current, functional and safe from intrusion. Is this ipad as compatible with new Ios's as the current model, or will we have another paperweight to add to our collections in a couple of years?

pwain98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwain98

Has anyone else had a defective product shipped from Woot? I did, and four emails into Customer Service were ignored. Was defective out of the box.

I am concerned our Woot has gone to the dark side.

thor444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thor444
erwos wrote:Also worth noting is that they were down to $250 on BF, too. HOWEVER, this one does have LTE, and if you're on something like Project Fi, you can potentially get a lot of mileage out of that.

What is "BF"?

prazbotta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prazbotta
tuber wrote:My greatest frustration with Apple is planned obsolescence. There is a growing collection of devices made useless when Ios updates are only for newer ones, and no version to keep the old ones current, functional and safe from intrusion. Is this ipad as compatible with new Ios's as the current model, or will we have another paperweight to add to our collections in a couple of years?

I have an iPad Air 2 (not from Woot!) and it still gets iOS updates. I am running 11.3.1 currently with no issues.

regassert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regassert
warrenlms wrote:Given the pricing of iPad 5th Generation new tablets, Woot/Amazon/Bezos should have priced these refurbs a bit lower IMO.

It is the LTE version though. All in all, given the LTE and the fully laminated screed, this is probably a fair price.

regassert

davevpi wrote:The iPad Air 2 had 2 GB of RAM.

I feel like iOS is a lot more usable with 2GB of memory than Android would be.

Ed3rd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Ed3rd
tuber wrote:My greatest frustration with Apple is planned obsolescence.

This is not an exclusively and Apple thing. Although in my experience Apple provides updates for their devices longer than most.

Case in point, if you can still find the Hasbro made Interactive R2D2 toy, it includes an "expiration date" in tiny text on the side of the box. The app needed to operate the toy will stop being updated after that date. At least they were nice enough to let the consumer know.

Caveat emptor.

bobjax2017

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobjax2017
thor444 wrote:What is "BF"?

Black Friday

regassert

prazbotta wrote:I have an iPad Air 2 (not from Woot!) and it still gets iOS updates. I am running 11.3.1 currently with no issues.

How about anyone who bought a Bluesmart piece of "smart" luggage and is now SOL because they can't bring the batteries on the plane, can't easily remove said batteries, which would negate any reason you bought it anyway if you could, and will receive no refund or any considerations from the company.

cherylj55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylj55

Can you choose carrier?

bobjax2017

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobjax2017

The Apple site has new iPad a 32gb for $329 and a 128gb for $429. Of these 3 which is the better deal? No cellar. Pen is hundred dollars extra. Thanks

regassert

cherylj55 wrote:Can you choose carrier?

I would assume so, they would have originally come with the "Apple Sim", no?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1034 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cherylj55 wrote:Can you choose carrier?

Per the specs:

4G & LTE Compatible with AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T‑Mobile, GigSky
SIM Card NOT Included

(Except for Today)
** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

nabutu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabutu

IMHO having had several iPads and other products, the Air-2 is the first and best iPad. Excellent screen size and weight. If you have a large FLAC/ALAC music collection, you'd probably want more than 64GB RAM. But this one is excellent as an ePub eReader, or for playing externally stored movies and music (search mothership for iUSB pro microSD readers ~$10). When bought new, ipad's with a cellular function cost about $130 more than wifi-only. IDK why you'd want cellular on a Pad, other than for maps & other touristy info on vacay, but not a bad price for a relatively recent Apple product. If batt needs replacing, Apple's price for that has dropped, others do it, or check iFixit & diy..
Popping 4 1...

poutie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poutie

Per dealnews:
If you're intending on splurging on Apple's newest and prettiest of iPads and the compatible Pencil, Costco members should nab them today in this cost-effective bundle. Just add the 32GB model (in Space Grey, Silver, or Gold) and the Apple Pencil to cart, and the overall price drops to just $349.99. Even with the shipping fee, that's a substantial $60 cheaper than if you were to pick up both of these items separately elsewhere.

This 2018 model features an A10 Fusion processor, 2048x1536 Retina display, and support for the Apple Pencil (which was previously found only on iPad Pro models.)

hickerhr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hickerhr

BF = Black Friday (I'm guessing)

pinkie4443

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkie4443

Does anyone know if this model has the ability to accept a sim card to become cellular if I buy one from my provider?

dmichael7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmichael7
pinkie4443 wrote:Does anyone know if this model has the ability to accept a sim card to become cellular if I buy one from my provider?

That's what the "LTE" means. The specs page has the frequencies and bands supported:

SIM Card NOT Included
UMTS/​HSPA/​HSPA+/​DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 39, 40, 41)

kennylad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kennylad

Wow that is a really good deal was not aware of that and it comes with a year warranty

poutie wrote:Per dealnews:
If you're intending on splurging on Apple's newest and prettiest of iPads and the compatible Pencil, Costco members should nab them today in this cost-effective bundle. Just add the 32GB model (in Space Grey, Silver, or Gold) and the Apple Pencil to cart, and the overall price drops to just $349.99. Even with the shipping fee, that's a substantial $60 cheaper than if you were to pick up both of these items separately elsewhere.

This 2018 model features an A10 Fusion processor, 2048x1536 Retina display, and support for the Apple Pencil (which was previously found only on iPad Pro models.)

KC

ktappe

quality posts: 14 Private Messages ktappe
erwos wrote: if you're on something like Project Fi, you can potentially get a lot of mileage out of that.

I just checked and I think Project Fi is only for Android not iOS. Or at least I told their little "quiz" that I was using iOS and the results were "I'm a candidate but need to get a Fi-compatible device" and all that was listed were Android products. (Not surprising; it is Google after all.)

dmichael7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmichael7
ktappe wrote:I just checked and I think Project Fi is only for Android not iOS. Or at least I told their little "quiz" that I was using iOS and the results were "I'm a candidate but need to get a Fi-compatible device" and all that was listed were Android products. (Not surprising; it is Google after all.)

I *think* you can use Fi in any network-compatible device. The trick is you need to *activate* it on one of the approved devices, then you can pop it in your other (iOS) device. Apparently you then lose these features: switching between towers to the best connection and visual voicemail (moot if for the iPad). Caveat: I've not done this myself and cannot verify it.

pinkie4443

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkie4443

Thank you!

dmichael7 wrote:That's what the "LTE" means. The specs page has the frequencies and bands supported:

SIM Card NOT Included
UMTS/​HSPA/​HSPA+/​DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 39, 40, 41)

kaydot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaydot

Currently still using an Air2, 64gb.

To anyone considering the base iPad at 32 gigs: 32 gigs is positively too small in today's world, as the OS takes close to 10 of that. Add in a few HD games and applications, and 32 disappears just a little too quickly and you have to start balancing apps/movies/content.

I really still enjoy my Air2. It is my daily driver, surfs and streams really well. It is light, bright, and in this case, the price is right.

I have no need for any more iPad than this provides as a content consumption device.

djames42

quality posts: 16 Private Messages djames42
tuber wrote:My greatest frustration with Apple is planned obsolescence. There is a growing collection of devices made useless when Ios updates are only for newer ones, and no version to keep the old ones current, functional and safe from intrusion. Is this ipad as compatible with new Ios's as the current model, or will we have another paperweight to add to our collections in a couple of years?

I'm rather inclined to disagree on Apple obsolescence. Most of the iOS devices in the house (all the way back to the iPhone 5S, which is now five years old) still run the current OS. My seven-year-old MacBook Pro runs everything the brand-new laptops can run, and my seven-year-old Mac Mini was just two weeks ago replaced with a current iMac, only because I needed the extra cores.

The only iOS devices that aren't able to run the current version of iOS are limited because Apple has phased out 32-bit support. All 64-bit devices are included in iOS 11.

Compare that with my work-provided Android Moto X which came out within a month of the 5S and was eligible for only a single major Android release and became obsolete within less than two years of when I received it.

My Samsung Galaxy J3 is less than two years old and is maxed out at 7.1, which is also two years old.

From what I've seen, Android tablets aren't any better and are largely even worse in terms of running current versions of Android.

Meggeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Meggeler

A place in Egypt? If I didn't have an orginal iPad Air I would find this more attractive. But could use the LTE.

taddeusz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taddeusz

Came with a knockoff charger and likely knockoff cable. Other than that it is in really good condition. I would give this 4 stars for the knockoff accessories.