Back to Amazon.com

WootBot


quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Delonghi 12.000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner

Last Purchase:
3 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 18% of Woot.com Woots
Top 7% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 5% of Woot.com Woots
Top 2% of all Woots



Quality Posts


Wooter704479821


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter704479821

Not why a hose is included with a "no drip" system. Any ideas?

dixibelle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dixibelle
Wooter704479821 wrote:Not why a hose is included with a "no drip" system. Any ideas?



The hot air has to vent out somewhere. The hose should be the vent hose which will need to be vented out a window (it also comes with the window venting kit)

eddard


quality posts: 5 Private Messages eddard
dixibelle wrote:The hot air has to vent out somewhere. The hose should be the vent hose which will need to be vented out a window (it also comes with the window venting kit)


Dixibelle is right.
We bought the 12,000 btu unit here on Woot a couple of years ago for our sun room. It does an excellent job keeping it cool and does an ok job heating. We bought it primarily for cooling so the heat is just a bonus. This is an excellent price.
It also will operate as a dehumidifier. We haven't really tried that function.

janileigh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages janileigh

Does the window kit work with windows that open horizontally?

richardjdoherty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardjdoherty

Which Delonghi model number is this?

manlapig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages manlapig

Staff

richardjdoherty wrote:Which Delonghi model number is this?



Here you go: PACAN125HPEKC

eddard


quality posts: 5 Private Messages eddard
janileigh wrote:Does the window kit work with windows that open horizontally?



According to the manual, it's supposed to. I have not tried it. The manual is online for download.

djames42


quality posts: 16 Private Messages djames42

I've got the 12,000 BTU version of this from Costco. It's a bit noisy, but I was able to sleep through it just fine (better than I was able to sleep in the heat). I used it in a medium-sized master bedroom and it dropped the temp from at least 90º to a comfortable sub-70º in about 30 minutes.

I'd buy this again if I didn't now live in a house with central air.

mneely84


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mneely84

Yo! Since when is 70lbs for a portable air conditioner make it portable?

disturbed1115


quality posts: 0 Private Messages disturbed1115

what would be the approximate cost per hour to run this on A/C mode?

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn
mneely84 wrote:Yo! Since when is 70lbs for a portable air conditioner make it portable?



Since you can roll it from room to room as needed.

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

Wooter988213926


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter988213926

My unit arrived today with one of the wheel castors pushed up into the chassis. The plastic base is broken right at the boundaries of the metal hardware that connects the wheel to the body. It won't stand on it's own without each wheel in place. I'm super bummed about the hassle this is going to be.

Narfcake


quality posts: 396 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Wooter988213926 wrote:My unit arrived today with one of the wheel castors pushed up into the chassis. The plastic base is broken right at the boundaries of the metal hardware that connects the wheel to the body. It won't stand on it's own without each wheel in place. I'm super bummed about the hassle this is going to be.


Sounds like it might have been dropped at some point.

If you haven't done so yet, contact Customer Support for assistance.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.
 

SoCalDuncan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoCalDuncan
Wooter988213926 wrote:My unit arrived today with one of the wheel castors pushed up into the chassis. The plastic base is broken right at the boundaries of the metal hardware that connects the wheel to the body. It won't stand on it's own without each wheel in place. I'm super bummed about the hassle this is going to be.



The exact same thing happened with me. Hope you get a quick response from customer service. It looks to me like that base plate could be pretty easily replaced.

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight
SoCalDuncan wrote:The exact same thing happened with me. Hope you get a quick response from customer service. It looks to me like that base plate could be pretty easily replaced.



Exact same thing with me too. Customer service offered me $25 to go find a new wheel myself, which obviously is worthless since the entire base is broken, or return for a refund. Definitely not thrilled; but the fact that that makes 3 of us (at least) shows either they need better packaging, or better quality control (or both).

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv

SoCalDuncan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoCalDuncan

This site has the base plate for about $25: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delonghi-pacan125hpec-portable-air-conditioner-parts-c-122345_122354_289449.html

I think I might just order that and replace it myself since they offered me a $60 partial refund.

BrucePerens


quality posts: 4 Private Messages BrucePerens

Mine arrived today, without shipping damage, fortunately. It's huge and heavy, and it seemed to me to be a bit under-packed, resulting in the wheel and base damage other people noted.

I let it sit for 20 hours before trying it. There's a warning that it must be upright for at least 6 hours (24 recommended) before starting. This is a usual requirement for anything containing refrigerant - if there is froth or gas where the compressor expects liquid to be, the compressor may lock up and burn out.

It works and the price is right. There is one significant disadvantage to this sort of unit that people should know about. It uses indoor air to cool the condenser, and then exhausts it. Thus, it is always pulling warm humid air into your room, and using up some of the cool air to cool itself. So, the effective BTU rating is significantly lower than the rated BTU, because of cool air being robbed to cool the condenser and more warm air constantly being pulled into the room.

A window or permanent air conditioner avoids this issue because it has an outside air intake used to cool the condenser.

There is a drip outlet that should fit hardware-store tubing. The condensation water has to go somewhere, so either connect a hose or expect to empty the drip tray daily.

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight
SoCalDuncan wrote:This site has the base plate for about $25: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delonghi-pacan125hpec-portable-air-conditioner-parts-c-122345_122354_289449.html

I think I might just order that and replace it myself since they offered me a $60 partial refund.



Unfortunately for me the $25 partial they offered me won't even cover the part with shipping. Pretty unfair that they offer different users different compensation for the same problem. Maybe I will contact again and see if they'd be willing to up my partial refund to match you.

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv

Wooter988213926


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter988213926

I was offered $45 to keep it and fix myself. It's interesting to see how different each offer is.

I saw that part earlier, but I'll need to take a look at the unit itself to see what replacing this entails. And, I never actually tested the unit yet to see if it actually works.

Until then, I'm not sure what route I'll go, but I have asked if they'll at least match the $60 mentioned here.

SoCalDuncan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoCalDuncan

I called the manufacturer, and that part I linked earlier is for a different model. The one for this one isn't available anywhere online that I could find, and the manufacturer first said they'd send a replacement...then they looked at my order information and said that I had to go through the seller. So at this point it's not worth the hassle, and I'll just have to send it back to Woot. It's been a pretty disappointing waste of time.

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight

Now that I'm home and able to look at the unit, I don't think the part is all that easily replaceable. It looks like there was more damage, one of the nuts is even missing from the bottom! That combined with SoCalDuncan's note that the part isn't available looks like this is getting shipped back. Does Woot customer service have any suggestions on how that's supposed to happen since the box came held together by packing straps and packing staples, and the average household probably doesn't have access to that stuff?

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv

Wooter988213926


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter988213926

Customer service wouldn't budge on the refund amount, and then said they could send me new castors. That's not exactly going to fix the big hole in the base of the unit...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1038 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Wooter988213926 wrote:Customer service wouldn't budge on the refund amount, and then said they could send me new castors. That's not exactly going to fix the big hole in the base of the unit...


You've got to help them understand the damage to the unit. Try sending them links to some photos, please.


** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1038 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

givinupthefight wrote:Now that I'm home and able to look at the unit, I don't think the part is all that easily replaceable. It looks like there was more damage, one of the nuts is even missing from the bottom! That combined with SoCalDuncan's note that the part isn't available looks like this is getting shipped back. Does Woot customer service have any suggestions on how that's supposed to happen since the box came held together by packing straps and packing staples, and the average household probably doesn't have access to that stuff?



Could you send CS some links to photos showing the damage.

Also, explain the packaging and ask how best to repackage it.


** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight
ThunderThighs wrote:Could you send CS some links to photos showing the damage.

Also, explain the packaging and ask how best to repackage it.



Thanks for the advice. I did exactly that. I explained that the item shipped with a two piece box held together by packing staples and packing straps, and I have no way of re-packing like this. This was their entire feedback on the issue: "You can pack the item in any other packing material." So no help at all there.

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv

Wooter988213926


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter988213926
ThunderThighs wrote:You've got to help them understand the damage to the unit. Try sending them links to some photos, please.



I know you're trying to help, and I will send pictures. However, my description of the damage was detailed enough to warrant a better response than I received.

Wooter988213926


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter988213926

CS told me they can't send a new base, so I guess I'm in the process of trying to figure out repackaging. I really wanted this to work out, but I guess my only options are returning or settling for a busted up unit.

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight
Wooter988213926 wrote:CS told me they can't send a new base, so I guess I'm in the process of trying to figure out repackaging. I really wanted this to work out, but I guess my only options are returning or settling for a busted up unit.



I'm there with you. I've got it re-boxed as close to original as I can, and tomorrow I plan on using heavy twine in place of the packing straps. I'll share results. Good luck to everyone out there trying to claw out of this mess to get their money back.

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv

givinupthefight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages givinupthefight

I managed to box it up pretty close to original, used twine to hold the two pieces of the box together, and more twine to make both pieces keep their general shape, then covered all that with more packing tape so the twine isn't hanging at all. Should get there in the same condition it got to me in. All said and done, Woot cost me a bunch of packing supplies and time. Pickup is scheduled for this week so it can stop taking up space in my garage too.

100 woots since 10/19/07
Last woot was on 9/25/15
-Giv