Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 12" Intel i5 512GB MacBooks (2017)

Last Purchase:
9 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 20% of Woot.com Woots
Top 9% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 7% of Woot.com Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Apple 12" Intel M5 512GB MacBooks (2017)
Price: $999.99
Shipping Options:: $6 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Sep 17 to Tuesday, Sep 18) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

darrylw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darrylw

90 Day Woot Warranty? No AppleCare+ available for extra cost on this? What gives? What is the source of a New MacBook, but no possibility of AppleCare+? Maybe warranty replacement stock that was not needed?

spcanf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spcanf

what is the model number?

wajeremy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wajeremy

Staff

darrylw wrote:90 Day Woot Warranty? No AppleCare+ available for extra cost on this? What gives? What is the source of a New MacBook, but no possibility of AppleCare+? Maybe warranty replacement stock that was not needed?

Yep you got it.

Head Magister of the Woot!Loops Cereal Bar

wajeremy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wajeremy

Staff

spcanf wrote:what is the model number?

From the specs, I believe it is this one.

Head Magister of the Woot!Loops Cereal Bar

pupyluvr

quality posts: 64 Private Messages pupyluvr

Q? Why do men always want to put USB ports on things... why can't thay be happy with the ones thay hax?

Why would you ever want any more than the almighty provides? The Apple giveth and taketh USB away...

wsandman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wsandman

This is it on the Apple refurb site. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FNYL2LL/A/Refurbished-12-inch-MacBook-13GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-Gold

wsandman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wsandman

You can buy the square trade protection plan. If that is a reasonable substitute for apple care.

msears101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msears101
wsandman wrote:You can buy the square trade protection plan. If that is a reasonable substitute for apple care.

IMO, Square Trade is not even close to the same thing.

Wooter147180212

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter147180212

The product says 2017, but the "m5" model does not exist in the official 2017 intel core model released by Apple.

You mean "i5" and you mistyped it as "m5"?
Or is the 2016 model "m5" right?
I want to buy it, but I want it to be accurate.

boosthead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boosthead

As far as I can tell, this appears to be the current model. But the processor info is confusing things. The mid 2017 model didn't have an M5, that I saw.

hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Actually, there is no m5-7Y54, there is only the i5-7Y54. However, with the Kaby Lake processors, Intel got rid of the m5 and m7 nomenclature and instead added a Y to the processor name to indicate the 4.5 watt processor. This appears to be the i5-7Y54 which is really the M5 Kaby Lake processor (the 2017 version laptop).

CT

atlas220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atlas220

is it an i5 processor or an m5, currently the 2017 model comes with an m3, i5 or i7. By the other hand the 2016 model comes with m3, m5

nabutu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nabutu

I bought one of the 2016 12" Mac Books from Woot bak in November or so. The M5 is a mobile Celeron class of processor, not in the Core-i -series. It IS a low-end processor and not very fast. But this is MacOS, not Windows, and Unix varients like MacOS don't need as much CPU horsepower for basic needs. And this is not a "Pro" machine. The M5 processor is fast enough for office-type applications, playing music, converting or 'ripping' music (a bit more slowly), and watching video online. The 12" retina display is VERY nice to look at, except that at age 60, I need bigger displays. 512GB is the right size SSD to get. The biggest advantage of the 12" MB is that it is small enough and light enoough to really carry around, without sacrifice screen appearance, as you would with a chrome book or HP Stream.
The 2016 ones, had the same limited (Woot) warranty. They were brand new machines that Apple had kept in reserve as warranty replacements. Since Apple was releacing their warranty replacements, how could they offer AppleCare(warranty replacement) on those machines? Keep in mind that Apple Notebook machines now use a "monolithic system board" design, repair is a remanufacture process, so they'd just do swaps with data transfer in-store. (If you want that, you're willing to pay several hunderd more..) Monolithic design means fewer failures and better battery..
You need to get a bit creative with one of these, due to lack of ports. I need lots of ports. I believe Apple's thinking is that every connection is a point of failure and a drain on limited power reserve. They Apple business model is Use The Network, they provide iCloud and several Gig for free. For this unit and my MBP, I created my own TimeMachine backup and file sharing server from a $35 RaspberryPi and a Costco+Seagate 4TB disk, just using some how-to's from the internet.

I believe any college student would be thrilled to have one of these to take to classes and write their papers on.

...my 2c...

atlas220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atlas220

They have updated it. It seems the m5 was a typo. It is in fact an i5!

mausdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mausdesign

10.12.5 is Sierra, not High Sierra. The current released version is macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

manlapig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manlapig

Staff

M5 was a typo y'all! Sorry about that. This is an i5!

UFGatorHawk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UFGatorHawk

The woot listing says "2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.10 GHz)".

However, there is no 2017 i5 MacBook with those CPU speeds.

The only ones I can find are (1.3/Turbo 3.2) and (1.4/Turbo 3.6) models.

Can woot elaborate or clarify?

manlapig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manlapig

Staff

UFGatorHawk wrote:The woot listing says "2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.10 GHz)".

However, there is no 2017 i5 MacBook with those CPU speeds.

The only ones I can find are (1.3/Turbo 3.2) and (1.4/Turbo 3.6) models.

Can woot elaborate or clarify?

Yep, it's 1.3GHz (Turbo up to 3.10GHz). Sorry about that. We fixed it in the specs.

Wooter547833198

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter547833198

I wnat to buy rosegold color but now soldout!
So, i really hope you guys do something like this deal again.

I really want to buy this model color rosegold!!

Thuongtrang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thuongtrang

Hello,

What do you mean by NEW? Unactive and unsealed right? Totally NEW? Since Im still not yet understand why we can get this discount

Thuongtrang

darrylw wrote:90 Day Woot Warranty? No AppleCare+ available for extra cost on this? What gives? What is the source of a New MacBook, but no possibility of AppleCare+? Maybe warranty replacement stock that was not needed?

Hello dear Can you clarify this point? It means that if I buy this product, I can not buy Applecare later on? I get lost now...

Thuongtrang

Wooter547833198 wrote:I wnat to buy rosegold color but now soldout!
So, i really hope you guys do something like this deal again.

I really want to buy this model color rosegold!!

Just enter and happy to see they offer 4 colours and My heart is broken when hearing you saying that it was sold out. Is it just sold out or not offered from the beginning?

dgfait

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dgfait
Thuongtrang wrote:Hello dear Can you clarify this point? It means that if I buy this product, I can not buy Applecare later on? I get lost now...

From the features...

"These Macbook are NEW in condition, but come with a Woot warranty. This is why we can offer a discount. These were originally intended as warranty replacements, and held by Apple to support their customers. Now we offer them to you!"

dgfait

Looks like a pretty good deal for a new MacBook. The same models from Apple's refurbished site are $1300+.

In for a space grey to replace my 2013 MacBook pro that recently sprung a couple dead pixels in the display. It has been a trooper of a laptop for me.

Thuongtrang

dgfait wrote:From the features...

"These Macbook are NEW in condition, but come with a Woot warranty. This is why we can offer a discount. These were originally intended as warranty replacements, and held by Apple to support their customers. Now we offer them to you!"

Yes I did read it but still not yet fullly understand

dgfait

Thuongtrang wrote:Yes I did read it but still not yet fullly understand

They are clearing out the replacement stock with this sale, and they are likely taking it down to a level to support the previous sold new versions based on some algorithm of expected returns >1 year from originally being sold. Since, they are thinning the replacement stock, they are not offering apple care since they will now have less replacements available.

gdibig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gdibig

$1,000.00 for a 12" laptop? Really? Sucker born every minute!

Wooter599200090

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter599200090

Regarding warranty - Apple notes that these laptops are part of the keyboard service program (https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/)

Does buying one of these laptops with a limited warranty still allow the owners to leverage that program (if necessary)?

leyet101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leyet101
Wooter599200090 wrote:Regarding warranty - Apple notes that these laptops are part of the keyboard service program (https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/)

Does buying one of these laptops with a limited warranty still allow the owners to leverage that program (if necessary)?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Was about to buy when I read this.

ChKen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChKen
Wooter599200090 wrote:Regarding warranty - Apple notes that these laptops are part of the keyboard service program (https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/)

In general, any Apple service program supersedes any retail warranty. Doesn’t matter where you bought something or for how much. If your device serial number is In the range of affected devices, then it qualifies.

leyet101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leyet101
ChKen wrote:In general, any Apple service program supersedes any retail warranty. Doesn’t matter where you bought something or for how much. If your device serial number is In the range of affected devices, then it qualifies.

Thank you!

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

Yes; all this and the keyboard from Hell, as well.

This is $1000 flushed down the toilet.

dgfait

gdibig wrote:$1,000.00 for a 12" laptop? Really? Sucker born every minute!

Guess it just depends on how long you would like it to last. My current macbook has lasted me for over 5 years and still runs great. Never have gotten anything close to that with a PC.

shepherdson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shepherdson

Thank you for the excellent analysis, nabutu. Where did you get the Raspberry Pi? I thought it was only available outside the USA. Where did you find the R.Pi + Seagate videos?

nabutu wrote:I bought one of the 2016 12" Mac Books from Woot bak in November or so. The M5 is a mobile Celeron class of processor, not in the Core-i -series. It IS a low-end processor and not very fast. But this is MacOS, not Windows, and Unix varients like MacOS don't need as much CPU horsepower for basic needs. And this is not a "Pro" machine. The M5 processor is fast enough for office-type applications, playing music, converting or 'ripping' music (a bit more slowly), and watching video online. The 12" retina display is VERY nice to look at, except that at age 60, I need bigger displays. 512GB is the right size SSD to get. The biggest advantage of the 12" MB is that it is small enough and light enoough to really carry around, without sacrifice screen appearance, as you would with a chrome book or HP Stream.
The 2016 ones, had the same limited (Woot) warranty. They were brand new machines that Apple had kept in reserve as warranty replacements. Since Apple was releacing their warranty replacements, how could they offer AppleCare(warranty replacement) on those machines? Keep in mind that Apple Notebook machines now use a "monolithic system board" design, repair is a remanufacture process, so they'd just do swaps with data transfer in-store. (If you want that, you're willing to pay several hunderd more..) Monolithic design means fewer failures and better battery..
You need to get a bit creative with one of these, due to lack of ports. I need lots of ports. I believe Apple's thinking is that every connection is a point of failure and a drain on limited power reserve. They Apple business model is Use The Network, they provide iCloud and several Gig for free. For this unit and my MBP, I created my own TimeMachine backup and file sharing server from a $35 RaspberryPi and a Costco+Seagate 4TB disk, just using some how-to's from the internet.

I believe any college student would be thrilled to have one of these to take to classes and write their papers on.

...my 2c...

cosmictrucker

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cosmictrucker

Still using a 2006 macbook once in a while. These are well made machines.

dgfait wrote:Guess it just depends on how long you would like it to last. My current macbook has lasted me for over 5 years and still runs great. Never have gotten anything close to that with a PC.

googoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages googoo

I bought one of these on September 14. Shipping was free, but it doesn't arrive until 10/2/18. Really!?
In the latter part of the year 2018, it takes going on 3 weeks to deliver a laptop within the contiguous 48 states? I would be happy to pay a fee to have it delivered in my lifetime!

dgfait

googoo wrote:I bought one of these on September 14. Shipping was free, but it doesn't arrive until 10/2/18. Really!?
In the latter part of the year 2018, it takes going on 3 weeks to deliver a laptop within the contiguous 48 states? I would be happy to pay a fee to have it delivered in my lifetime!

Same here. Usually the free prime shipping is close to or as fast as Amazon Prime, but in this case over 2 weeks shipping is silly. It wouldn't take that long to get a Macbook from any reputable online seller.

byahseeker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages byahseeker
googoo wrote:I bought one of these on September 14. Shipping was free, but it doesn't arrive until 10/2/18. Really!?

I mean it says it right when you buy it.... That said it's absolutely ridiculous that they take so long to ship. When you reach out to them they get annoyed about it too. They're not helpful at all. Won't be buying from Woot ever again.